Wednesday, October 29, 2008

KAWS x Pharrell x Word


Most of you who are familiar with either Pharrell Williams or KAWS know that Pharrell is a huge fan of KAWS’ and that he has commissioned KAWS to paint a number of pieces for his personal collection including some Smurf and Spongebob Squarepants paintings. Now it seems like the newest cartoon that KAWS has painted for Pharrell is inspired/based off of the cartoon series Family Guy. Take a look at the background of this picture as Pharrell is showing off his new Brooklyn Machine Works Bike. via BBC/Ice Cream

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Little known fact: Back in 95' when I attended "How Can I Be Down" in Miami I was picking up a dope indie rap group called Harlem High that had a single called "Voodoo" that I discovered on Pete Rock & Marly Marl's "Future Flavors" show from the airport. The group asked me if I could wait 30 more minutes to pick up their cousin, a rapper named "Neptunes". I said cool and about 45 mins later this kid walked over to the van rocking a Capt Kirk Star Trek shirt, tight ass jeans tucked in some cowboy boots. He played us his demo which was all about pussy, all 6-7 songs. We left from the airport to go see my homey Darnella Dunham at WVUM for her weekly College Hip Hop Show. So basically I drove this unsigned Pharrell to one of his first radio interviews with Harlem High, Shadez of Brooklyn and the Beat Minerz....Real Talk, Ask Darnella. I remember everyone at HCIBD laughing at this kid because he didn't look like a rapper. I guess the nerd got the last laugh....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

See you have sooo many DOPE stories man...continue to share them